• Spread it on bread with sliced bananas.
• Dip apples, carrots or celery in peanut butter for a snack.
• Use in sauces, dips, soups and stews.
• Serve as a side with rice, vegetables and fish, chicken or beef.
• Add to salads, casseroles, soups, stews and chili. Canned Salmon, Chicken, Beef and Pork
• Use on pizza, or in soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, quesadillas, enchiladas, tacos, vegetable stir-fry, sandwiches and casseroles.
Canned Beef Stew
• Canned beef stew can be a complete meal.
• Serve over pasta or rice with a vegetable or salad. Cheese
• Use in soups, casseroles, or breads.
• Add to sandwiches or salads.
• Melt on toast.
• Serve with fruit as a snack.
• Serve with rice, a vegetable, or salad for a meal.
• Use to top a baked potato, or in casseroles or soups.
Canned Vegetables (drain and rinse before using)
• Serve heated.
• Use in soups, stews, casseroles, salads, stuffing, pasta and rice dishes.
• Mix one or more vegetables such as tomatoes, green peppers, or onions.
• Add flavor to canned spinach with garlic, pepper, lemon juice or Parmesan cheese.
• Add flavor by seasoning with garlic, pepper, or herbs like dried basil or rosemary.
• Use in soups, casseroles, stews, vegetable side dishes, rice, pasta and main dishes.
• Combine canned tomatoes (drained) with garlic and cooked, chopped green pepper for an easy pasta topping.
• Serve warm or chilled, as a beverage or snack.
• Use to make vegetable soup.
• Serve for a snack or dessert.
• Use to bake fruit desserts like cobblers or crisps.
• Cut up and use in smoothies or add to salads.
• Make fruit salsa to eat on fish, chicken or meat.
• Repeat layers of fruit and yogurt in a tall glass for dessert.
• Add to plain or sparkling water to add flavor.
• Use to top pancakes or waffles or meats.
• Use for baking cakes, muffins and breads. Substitute half the amount of fat in a recipe with applesauce. For example, if a recipe calls for 1⁄2 cup oil, use 1⁄4 cup oil and 1⁄4 cup applesauce instead.
• Mix 1⁄2 cup juice with 1⁄2 cup seltzer or sparkling water to make a sweet fruity beverage.
• Blend apple juice with yogurt, fruit, and ice for a smoothie.
• Freeze juice in ice cube trays with toothpicks for a quick and easy popsicle treat.
Evaporated and Instant Dry Milk
• Use instead of cream in sauces, soups, and gravies.
• Use in recipes such as breads, muffins, soups, sauces, mashed potatoes, and pudding.
• Mix 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk with 1⁄2 cup water to use in place of 1 cup fresh milk. Grains and Starchy Foods
• Top cereal with milk and fruit for a quick and easy breakfast.
• Mix with yogurt and fruit.
• Use crushed cereal in place of bread crumbs in recipes.
• Add to trail mix with raisins and nuts.
• Top cooked farina with fresh or canned fruit and cinnamon.
• Use to make pancakes, dumplings, muffins and breads.
• Corn grits make a great side dish for fish, poultry and meat dishes.
• Mix corn grits with garlic and cheese to add flavor.
• Corn grits can be served as a hot cereal for breakfast.
Macaroni and Spaghetti
• Top with a tomato or meat sauce, oil and garlic, cheese, and vegetables.
• Macaroni may also be used in recipes for soups, casseroles, or salads.
• Combine with eggs, fish, poultry, vegetables, or meat.
• Toss cold cooked macaroni with chopped vegetables, oil and vinegar for an easy pasta salad.
• Cook oats with chopped fruit and with milk instead of water for a filling breakfast.
• Use to make baked goods such as cookies, muffins, breads and desserts.
• Use in place of bread crumbs in meatloaf, or in chicken and fish patties.
• Cook for a side dish.
• Add garlic, onions, peppers and spices to flavor rice.
• Use in recipes for soups, casseroles, stews and pilaf.
• Use in dessert recipes, such as puddings or breads.
• Heat in a skillet with chopped onions for a quick side dish.
• Use in soups, salads, casseroles, stews, vegetable side dishes and main dishes.
Canned Sweet Potatoes
• Serve canned sweet potatoes heated, or use in a variety of soups or baked goods like pies, cookies, breads and muffins.
• Add flavor to canned sweet potatoes by mixing with grated lemon or orange peels, raisins, canned pineapples (drained) or nuts.